In this guide, we show you how to restart Windows 10 in safe mode. In previous versions of Windows you would have to press F8 or F12 whilst Windows was ‘starting up’ to enter the boot options and start up settings.
However, Windows 10 now starts so fast that you could easily miss the chance to press F8 or F12. Microsoft decided there needed to be an easier way. In Windows 10 users have the option to reboot into a number of different startup options including safe mode from Windows itself.
What is safe mode?
Safe mode is a bare bones version of Windows. There are two main versions of safe mode.
- Windows 10 safe mode
- Windows 10 safe mode with networking.
Why restart Windows 10 in safe mode?
Both versions load a limited version of Windows with limited drivers. The second version includes network drivers. Restarting Windows 10 in safe mode enables users who are experiencing problems to identify if the problems are to do with the default Windows system and drivers or something else.
If the problem is not present in safe mode then you know it is likely to a problem with an application, hardware or driver rather than the Windows operating system. Safe mode enables you to load Windows and then remove the application, software or driver which is causing a problem.
How to restart Windows 10 in safe mode.
- If possible save any open work.
- Press the Windows Key
- Press and hold the Shift key and at the same time click the power icon
- Keeping the shift key pressed down, select restart
- Windows will start to shut down
- A blue screen with several options will appear
- Select Troubleshoot (see below)
- A new window will open, Select Advanced Options
- Choose Startup Settings
- Click Restart.
- The final blue screen will appear (see below)
- Press 4 to restart in windows in Safe Mode, or 5 to restart Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Windows will then restart in safe mode. You will be prompted to enter your password in the normal way.
- When you are finished with safe mode. You can restart the computer in the normal way
How to restart other versions of windows?
- Shut down your computer
- Press the power button to turn on your computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key
- After a few seconds, you should see the Advanced Boot Options menu on the screen
- You will need to use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select the version of safe mode you require
- Press Enter and the computer will restart in safe mode
- When you are finished with safe mode. You will need to repeat but choose Start Windows Normally to return the computer to normal
Note: Techsnail always advises taking regular backups of your files. If you are having problems with your computer it is highly recommended that you take a backup of any files, photos, or videos that are important to you. It is always better to have a backup rather than wish you had a backup.
Wait.. before you go, please leave us a comment.
We hope you found this guide on how to restart Windows 10 in safe mode useful. We spend lots of time putting these guides together. If we helped you then please help us and leave a comment below and a like on Facebook.
We really value your support and feedback here at Techsnail.com.