In this guide, we will show you how to create a new folder or sub folder. As you create more files you will want to organise your files in a neat manner. We do this with folders. Windows 10 has already created a documents folder for you. You can create a new folder within the documents folder or create a new folder anywhere else you would like.
For example, you may want to create a new folder called invoices inside your documents folder to store all your invoices. We call the invoices folder a subfolder. Or maybe you want to separate your photos into categories and create a new folder called family or sports within the Pictures folder.
How to create a new folder
- Navigate to your desired location
- Press Ctrl + Shift + N
- Name your new folder
The below instructions show you how to create a new subfolder called ‘invoices’ within your documents folder. You can use the same guide to create a new folder anywhere you would like.
How to create a new subfolder within a folder
- Press the Windows key to activate the text box on the taskbar.
- Type File Explorer in the text box on the taskbar and press Enter (or click the icon of a folder on your taskbar)
- A new window will open and on the left, you will see the word Documents (under the quick access section on the left)
- Click Documents to open the documents window.
- In any blank area right-click to display options
- In the options menu hover the mouse over New to display further options and select Folder
- A new folder will be created and highlighted as ‘new folder’
- Type Invoices to name the folder.
How to change the name of a folder
Warning: folders associated with programs should not have there names changed as this will interfere with the operation of the program. However, for folders you created it is fine to change the name of the folder. Remember to also change any desktop shortcuts you might have.
- Right-click the folder you wish to rename to open the options menu
- Select Rename to change the name of the folder
- Enter the name you wish to call the folder
Wait.. before you go, please leave us a comment.
We hope you found this guide on how to create a new folder useful. We spend lots of time putting these guides together. If we helped you then please help us and leave a comment below and a like on Facebook.
We really value your support and feedback here at Techsnail.com.